Complete the Level Up Tutorials on “Theme” and “Universal and Recurring Theme” on the my.hrw.com website.
- Click on ‘Student Resources’
- Click on ‘Level Up Tutorials’
- Click on the menu option in the top left corner (three horizontal lines)
- Click on ‘Analyzing Literature’
- Find the “Theme” and “Universal and Recurring Theme” tutorials
- Take notes!
Find a poem here.
Copy the poem on a separate sheet of paper.
Underline figurative language and label the device used (personification, metaphor, simile, etc.).
Next to each line, write your interpretation of the poem.
Finally, write one sentence describing the theme of the poem. (What is the author’s message?)
When you’ve finished, examine your original conclusion about the theme of “When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer.” Write one paragraph (5-7 sentences) describing the theme of the poem. Use evidence from the poem and the Level Up Tutorials to support your thesis.